Monday, April 26, 2010

It all starts here!

Hello, my name is Heather Justesen and I'm a cake decorating addict.

After mulling this over for some time, and considerable encouragement from my friends, I decided to take the plunge and start blogging my cakes. I'll post recipes and directions, and then link to other cake blogs with similar content when I see something fabulous that simply has to be shared. While I may highlight a standard cake now and then that is similar to what you can order at your grocery store bakery, most of the cakes I make tend to be out of the ordinary. I'm going to be honest and show cakes that don't always turn out quite the way I hoped, as well, including what I would have done differently given a chance to do it all again.

The fact is, while much of this takes some practice, if you have a steady hand, a pinch of creativity, and some patience, most of the fun cakes I've made can be duplicated by someone of moderate skill who has the right tools. Often the 'right tools' may be mostly things you have on hand already, so don't start thinking you're going to have to spend huge amounts of money to make your kid's birthday cake.

Where possible, I'll suggest inexpensive tools or things you might have around the house already to make it fit your pocketbook better. Don't get me wrong, cake decorating can be an expensive hobby if you let it, and you'll be thrilled and amazed at the cool things out there that can make your decorating easier, but there are ways to minimize the costs and where possible, I'll mention those. I'll be blogging about my previous projects over the next few weeks, mixed in with whatever new designs I work on, but in the mean time, you can check out my cakes over at my regular blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment